BylineSports.com

BylineSports.com is a daily collection of the best sports stories and columns being published nationally and regionally.
Satisfy the need to read something good.

Thanks for stopping by.

Get our email feeds | follow us on follow us on twitter

Bill Pucko - Chief Editor

Today's Best
Archives

by Eric Adelson, Yahoo Sports 4/23/15

They don't just want to punish him, but they want to make sure he's right before they let him back on the field. That's not just good for them, but for him, too, because the NFL and the Dallas Cowboys aren't the only ones who need Hardy to be a better citizen.


comments
by Nate Scott, ForTheWin.com 4/23/15
Over 20,000 fans showed up at Yankee Stadium on a weekday evening to see New York City F.C., the city’s new MLS expansion team, take on Philadelphia Union in a game that was being branded as a possible new rivalry.

comments

Home Grown
Archives

by Sal Maiorana, Democrat and Chronicle 4/23/15

On the topic of equitable rest, the conspiracy theorists will love this: Three of the first five games the Bills play will be against teams who will be coming off extra rest.


comments
by Donna DiTota, Syracuse.com 4/23/15

Arinze Onuaku was named to the NBA D-League second team and C.J. Fair was a second-team All-Rookie selection.


comments

Ads by Google

Our Contribution
Archives

Lotteries of Life

by Bill Pucko, BylineSports.com 4/20/15

This guy I know was out Saturday night in a bowling league at Lancaster Lanes about the time they were pulling team names for the National Hockey League Draft. The proprietors put the televised feed on the score terminals and all other activity stopped until it became clear that Edmonton and not Buffalo would be the home address for one Connor McDavid.

For being so lousy and not particularly concerned about it, the Buffalo Sabres will settle for a Boston area kid named Jack Eichel. All this 18 year old did was help Boston University to the Frozen Four national championship game, lead the nation in scoring, and win the Hobey Baker award as a freshman, the first player to do so since Paul Kariya, who was pretty good, did so at Maine in 1993. Jack isn't a bad consolation prize.

The NHL lottery was set up so that it was almost a foregone conclusion that the Sabres would get Eichel and not McDavid. As the league's worst team, Buffalo had a 20 percent chance to draw first, and an 80 percent chance to pick second. So while Sabres' fans and general manager Terry Murray complained about the outcome, no one should have been surprised.

In another week we'll experience the three day NFL Draft. Futures will be decided and fortunes made on national television, the ultimate reality show, without the prospective employee having any say over his immediate future.

Imagine if a draft were applied to other fields. The nation's top incoming surgeon could be assigned to practice in Wichita. Or they might send the new hot shot lawyer to work in Spokane. Have you been to either of those cities? Could you find them on a map? Wichita is in fact bigger than Buffalo and Spokane is larger than Green Bay.

Theoretically, assigning professionals from other walks of life to comparatively remote outposts, isn't that much different.

Still, these draft lotteries are a lot more fun than they used to be. My own experience came when my birthday was chosen out of a drum to determine my draft number for selective service. I drew 119, which put me in a grey area as far as my future was concerned. A year before my college deferment would have expired, they abandoned the draft. I got lucky. I could have been chosen to play for Saigon instead of White River Junction, Vermont, where my television career began.

You learn early that one way or another, life is really just a floating craps game. And as the good folks at the New York State Lottery say while they're picking your pockets, "Hey, you never know."

comments
 

Lists
Archives

by Doug Farrar, SI.com 4/23/15

The smart play for the San Diego Chargers would be to get as much as possible for Phillip Rivers, who is a perennial MVP candidate, and move along with their next potential franchise quarterback. To that end, in this mock draft, we're projecting a trade between the Chargers and Tennessee Titans that sends Rivers and San Diego's 17th overall pick in exchange for Tennessee's second overall selection.


comments
by Will Brinson, CBSSports.com 4/22/15

Certain teams are always going to get more primetime games when the schedule is released. And 10 teams have five primetime games this season. The Broncos, Patriots, Packers, Cowboys, Giants, Seahawks, Steelers, Ravens, Eagles and Colts are the teams hitting hot spots most frequently in 2015.


comments

Fantasy
Archives

by Scott White, CBSSports.com 4/23/15
Between Kris Bryant, Carlos Rodon and Addison Russell, I feel like half the prospects we were hoping to see at some point this season are already here.

comments
by Michael Beller, Rotoworld.com 4/22/15

These are the top-10 starting pitchers in standard 5x5 head-to-head leagues two weeks into the season: Shane Greene, Chris Archer, Scott Kazmir, David Price, Max Scherzer, Jake Odorizzi, Bartolo Colon, Chris Heston, Zack Greinke, Felix Hernandez. Six of the 10, including the top-three, were not deemed top-40 starting pitchers by average draft position.


comments